Topic category: Government/Politics
Five Lies About the Anti-Reform Mobs
Recently, I received an email from Jen O'Malley Dillon, Executive Director, Democratic National Committee, subject: "5 facts about the anti-reform mobs." Essentially, the email complains that Republicans are organizing resistance to the Obama dash toward spending the country into bankruptcy while socializing health care, energy production, banking, insurance, and automobile production in the United States.
Evidently, Democrats cannot believe that the American people would actually oppose such an agenda! After all, didn't they vote for "change"?
In an ironic twist, the Democrats' complaint is based on their perception that the GOP is using the same tactics that have been the stock-in-trade of Democrats for the past four decades! It is even more ironic that the GOP, while certainly supportive of protests, is really not organizing these efforts, as the Democrats complain they are.
Maybe they should be.
Even the DNC email subject contains three glaring distortions:
What are the five "facts" Democrats claim?
From the email (with myfollowing each of the lies presented as "facts"):
Clearly, the DNC is not interested in engaging in civil discourse. So they fan the flames of discontent among their troops in the hopes they will rally to the defense of beleaguered congressional Democrats. Perhaps the DNC's intent is to create sufficient civil disorder for Obama to declare martial law, another objective of the plan to socialize America.
- These disruptions are being funded and organized by out-of-district special-interest groups and insurance companies who fear that health insurance reform could help Americans, but hurt their bottom line. A group run by the same folks who made the "Swiftboat" ads against John Kerry is compiling a list of congressional events in August to disrupt. An insurance company coalition has stationed employees in 30 states to track where local lawmakers hold town-hall meetings.
- People are scared because they are being fed frightening lies. These crowds are being riled up by anti-reform lies being spread by industry front groups that invent smears to tarnish the President's plan and scare voters. But as the President has repeatedly said, health insurance reform will create more health care choices for the American people, not reduce them. If you like your insurance or your doctor, you can keep them, and there is no "government takeover" in any part of any plan supported by the President or Congress.
- Their actions are getting more extreme. Texas protesters brought signs displaying a tombstone for Rep. Lloyd Doggett and using the "SS" symbol to compare President Obama's policies to Nazism. Maryland Rep. Frank Kratovil was hanged in effigy outside his district office. Rep. Tim Bishop of New York had to be escorted to his car by police after an angry few disrupted his town hall meeting -- and more examples like this come in every day. And they have gone beyond just trying to derail the President's health insurance reform plans, they are trying to "break" the President himself and ruin his Presidency.
- Their goal is to disrupt and shut down legitimate conversation. Protesters have routinely shouted down representatives trying to engage in constructive dialogue with voters, and done everything they can to intimidate and silence regular people who just want more information. One attack group has even published a manual instructing protesters to "stand up and shout" and try to "rattle" lawmakers to prevent them from talking peacefully with their constituents.
- Republican leadership is irresponsibly cheering on the thuggish crowds. Republican House Minority Leader John Boehner issued a statement applauding and promoting a video of the disruptions and looking forward to "a long, hot August for Democrats in Congress."'
To quote from the DNC's message: "It's time to expose this charade, before it gets more dangerous. Please send these facts to everyone you know. You can also post them on your website, blog, or Facebook page."
Good advice. Let's expose these lying manipulators!
WEBCommentary (Editor, Publisher)
Biography - Bob Webster
Bob Webster, a 12th-generation descendent of both the Darte family (Connecticut, 1630s) and the Webster family (Massachusetts, 1630s) is a descendant of Daniel Webster's father, Revolutionary War patriot Ebenezer Webster, who served with General Washington. Bob has always had a strong interest in early American history, our Constitution, U.S. politics, and law. Politically he is a constitutional republican with objectivist and libertarian roots. He has faith in the ultimate triumph of truth and reason over deception and emotion. He is a strong believer in our Constitution as written and views the abandonment of constitutional restraint by the regressive Progressive movement as a great danger to our Republic. His favorite novel is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and believes it should be required reading for all high school students so they can appreciate the cost of tolerating the growth of unconstitutional crushingly powerful central government. He strongly believes, as our Constitution enshrines, that the interests of the individual should be held superior to the interests of the state.
A lifelong interest in meteorology and climatology spurred his strong interest in science. Bob earned his degree in Mathematics at Virginia Tech, graduating in 1964.